Pollok Williamson’s Luxury Beef Stew
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 500g diced beef, or chuck steak cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp flour seasoned with a little salt and pepper
- 1 large onions, sliced
- 200g carrots, cut into batons
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ glass red wine (about 3fl oz)
- 400ml beef stock ( use a stock cube if you don’t have beef stock)
- 1 bay leaves
- A few thyme sprigs
- Jacket potatoes or mash, to serve
How to cook
Put the flour in a bowl, add the diced beef and ensure you cover all the beef in the seasoned flour. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the beef until evenly browned before transferring the beef into a casserole dish (cast iron if possible).
Add a tbsp oil to the pan and stir in the onion and carrots. Cover and gently cook for 10-12 mins until softened, then remove the lid and stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Pour in the wine and stir well, letting it boil up for 1 min, then pour the whole mixture over the meat. Add the stock, bay leaves and thyme, bring to a simmer, then cover and gently simmer for approximately 2½ hrs or until the meat is very tender. If the sauce looks a bit thin, remove the lid and continue to cook until it thickens.
Source – BBC.co.uk/food – ©  BBC