For the Beef Stew Scotch Beef stewing steak will give a great depth of flavour.
- Preheat oven to 180/350F/Gas 4
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef until browned on all sides. Then add a knob of butter to enrich the flavour.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, the carrots and onions and fry for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the wine, stock and herbs, then add the Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, to taste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook for about two hours, or until the meat is tender.
- For the dumplings you will need to sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the suet and sea salt the slowly add water to form a thick dough. Once you have consistency that you would like make your dumplings with floured hands.
- After two hours, remove the lid from the stew and give it a quick stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Place dumplings on top of the stew and return to the oven for 20 minutes or until the dumplings have swollen and are tender